Making Democracy Work
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Check this site often through the November 6 general election. We will include updated election information as soon as we receive it.
Midland Public School Board Candidates: five people are running for the three open seats. A school board forum will be held Tuesday Sept. 25 sponsored by the League of Women Voters and the Midland chapter of the American Association of University Women. Click on CALENDAR and VOTE 2018 for more information.
Meet Your New Voting Machines - video with John Keefer and Katherine Redwine demonstrating new voting equipment.
Do you live in Midland County and would like to vote by absentee ballot? It's not hard. You can request an absentee ballot from your city, township or county clerk's office. To vote absentee ballot you must be one of the following: 1) over 60 years old, 2) unable to vote without assistance, 3) expecting to be out of town, 4) in jail, 5) unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons, 6) appointed to work as an election inspector outside of your own precinct. For more information, go to
the Midland County website.
Are you Registered to Vote for the November election? It's easy. Go to Michigan.gov/vote and click on "Register to Vote" to see steps in registering to vote and for registration applications.
You can also register to vote at any Secretary of State office, your county clerk's office, city or township clerk's office. Full information for Midland County voters may be found at: the Midland County website. Click on "Residents". Then click on "Voter Registration".
Our League celebrates LIFE MEMBERS - at the Annual Meeting on May 16, 2018, six local members were honored as LIFE MEMBERS. Life Members have been members of the League for 50 years. These six women are among the founding members of the LWV of the Midland Area.
(back row) Fran Hamburg, Maureen Phillepich, Barbara McGregor, (front row) Evelyn Lipowitz, Lucille Bicknell, Julie Schmidt
Calendar of Events Learn More
- Meetings and Events of Interest to the League and the Public
VOTE! 2018 Learn More
- What's on Your Ballot?
timely league issues Learn More
- housing, equal pay, gun violence,redistricting, schools,great lakes
Get Involved Learn More
- Steps you can take to get involved to influence your government.
Welcome Bay County Geographical Unit! Learn More
- Bay County begins a geographical unit of the LWV
About the League Learn More
- What is our mission? How are we structured?
Your Elected Officials Learn More
- Find your elected officials at the national, state and local level.
Useful Links Learn More
- Links to government and related sites
The Midland Voter Newsletter Learn More
- The VOTER newsletter is published monthly. All members should receive this in their email. If you do not receive it, please contact Katherine Redwine
League Position Statements Learn More
- League positions adopted after study and consensus.
Resources for Study Learn More
- Papers and links for resources related to current programs
Advocacy Learn More
- Action based on League Positions
Great Decisions Learn More
- The Great Decisions program is a series of discussions on current international issues based on materials from the Foreign Policy Association.
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization?
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
Our original website was created in 1998 with gifts made in memory of Mary Dee Rieke, a founding member of the LWV of the Midland Area, our second president, and an active participant in League throughout her life. We remember her with gratitude.