Making Democracy Work

Get Involved

How to be a responsible citizen

Steps you can take to get involved to influence your government.

Take Action through the LWVUS and the LWVMI

The League of Women Voters issues action alerts when the US Congress or Senate are considering bills on issues of that have League positions.

The LWVUS notifies members with Action Alert emails. To sign up for these emails, please see Get Involved!

The League of Women Voters of Michigan sends Action Alert emails to all members who have an email address. You do not need to do anything to be on this list. This is the list of previous Action Alerts

Write a letter, phone or email

You can write a letter, vote, attend a meeting, run for office, and join the League of Women Voters

Write a letter, phone or email:

To Washington:

Our Senators:

Debbie Stabenow (D)
731 Hart Senate Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-2204
Phone: 202-224-4822

Gary Peters (D)
Hart Senate Office Bldg. suite 724
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: 202-224-6221
(Saginaw office) 989-754-0112

Our Representative (Fourth district):

John Moolenaar (R)
117 Cannon House Bldg.
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: 202-225-3561
Midland office: 200 E. Main Street
Suite 230
(989) 631-2552

To Lansing, Michigan

Our Senator:

Jim Stamas (R)
P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536
Phone: 517-373-7946
(Toll free: 855-347-8036)

Our Representative (98th district):

Gary Glenn (R)
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-373-1791
(Toll free: 855-GLENN98)

Our Representative (99th district)

Roger Hauck (R)
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-373-1789

Need to write to another elected official? Go to our Your Elected Officials for addresses for everybody from our local school boards through the President of the United States.

Register and Vote

Register: It's easy: all county residents can register at the Secretary of State's Office, 1832 N. Saginaw Rd, in the city of Midland (phone 888-767-6424). Midland City residents can also register at their city clerk's office at 333W. Ellsworth St. Midland (phone 837-3310). County residents living outside the city can register with their township clerk (you can phone the county clerk's office 832-6739, for locations and numbers). Just remember that you need to be registered to vote thirty days before the election. The county clerk publishes the deadline dates.

Vote: You need a photo I.D. to vote. Your driver's license is usually that photo I.D. If you do not have a driver's license, you can get a photo ID at the same place you would get a driver's license: the Secretary of State's office, 1832 N. Saginaw Road in Midland. Phone: 888-767-6424. Absentee Ballot: If you are not able to get to the polls, you can vote absentee ballot. You must apply for a ballot at your city or township clerk's office before election day.

Attend a meeting

City of Midland: Midland City Council:
The city council meets twice a month, usually on the second and fourth Monday evenings at 7 p.m. in the Council Chambers in the City Hall in downtown Midland. However there are some exceptions to those evenings, so check the agenda calendar on the webpage. The agendas are available at least four days before the meetings and agendas, meeting summaries and videos of happenings can be found on the city website.

County of Midland: Midland County Board of Commissioners:

The Midland County Commissioners usually meets on the first and third Thursday mornings of the month at 9 a.m. All Midland County Board of Commissioner meetings are held in the Board Room on the first floor of the County Services Building, 220 W Ellsworth St, Midland, MI. All meetings are open to the public unless otherwise noted.

Midland Public Schools: School Board:

The Midland School Board usually meets on the third Monday. All meetings are held at 7 p.m. at the Midland Public Schools Administration Center, 600 E. Carpenter Street, Midland, MI 48640, unless otherwise posted.

Most public meetings are covered by local news outlets. They are also covered on their websites. In the city of Midland both the city council meetings and the school board meetings are taped and shown on MCTV.

Volunteer to serve

The city, the county and the public schools all have volunteer boards and committees, staffed by citizens like you. You too might be interested in serving. Check the government websites: City of Midland Boards & Commissions

Run for office

City council, county commissioners, school board, township offices and state and national officers will be up for election in 2018. It is not too early to consider running for an elected office yourself. Although you will not need to get your petition and signatures until 2018, you should begin to lay some groundwork, talking to all your friends about the issues and enlisting their support.

A good read is the New York Times article "How to Run for Local Office" by Malia Wollan, March 31, 2107.

More good links

To read the state of Michigan's "Citizen's Guide to State Government," prepared by the Michigan Legislature, check here:

Please help

How can we help you? Send us your ideas and suggestions on how our website can help you to become a stronger, better citizen. Go to "contact us" on this website.

Can you help us? We work hard to keep our website up-to-date and relevant for our community. We work hard to give our community voter information, including hosting many programs on issues that are important to the Midland area. We love our work + but our website, our programs and our voters' guides cost money. Every donation, no matter how small, helps us to improve our website and sponsor more voter programs in the Midland area.

Send your donation to: Midland Area League of Women Voters P.O. Box 1203 Midland MI 48641-1203

For a tax-exempt donation, make your check out to the Midland Area LWV Education Fund.